Pages

December 22, 2009

Who

The "Who" of blogging can be as simple as you and I. You are the reader and I am the author. You read what I write. Unfortunately, most authors don't look at this in such simple terms, preferring to replace the You with Audience, and the I with "The Writer."
 
I can go with the Audience thing, since you have the potential to reach more than one person with a Blog, but I still like to think personally when it comes to blogging, since there is really only one reader at a time. There is no feedback or crowd reaction from the presence of a mass of humanity gathered in one place to simultaneously experience your communicative efforts.
 
But there are comments, you say. The audience can interact with each other, and provide a group dynamic. And yes, I will tell you that it is true, but its only an audience in the basic sense in that they have read your words, not been present for a performance. I suppose that is the major difference, in that Performance and Audience are linked in my mind.
 
The main purpose for an Author to have some concept of audience in mind, is so that they can direct their efforts at a known class of persons, with particular faculties and reasoning skills. It would do little good to create a work that is not targeted. As was touched on in the previous post, the audience plays a significant role in the choice of words and writing techniques that an Author may choose to deploy in the effort of communication.
 
Did I just loose you there? What I over your head with "deploy in the effort?" What was I aiming at with those words, a military crowd? Sure. That might be right, but at the same time, I might also claim that we are engaged in a literary war, and words are our weapons with which we assail the masses with seeds of ideas and ideals.
 
Ug. I don't want to know where that just came from, but I seem to remember one author in particular by the name of Joe Orton. He was English, at least while he was alive. I had to study this writer of English Literature in college, having no clue that the word English would refer to England and not the language in general. I would still hate writing at the end of my English Literature experience.
 
The idea of "You" as an author is about as good as any when it comes to blogging. Most of the blogs that I've encountered (meaning 50% plus one) are written by a single writer, most of the time. This should be true for most of the personal bloggers in the "here's my life" category, barring some kind of mental illness, psychosis, demonic possession, or chemical influence. Note that none of these are considered impairments to becoming a successful author.
 
In rare instances, a cadre of authors will band together to create a larger blog than one sane person would manage. I would have a tough time creating posts of this length on a daily basis, given the fact that I am regularly employed and do not mix my blogging activity with company time. Professional writers should have little trouble with such a task, as they commonly measure their output in column-inches.
 
When it comes to the educational level, I have no problem with setting a minimum somewhere between High School and College. High School Sophomore is about as low a level as I would think appropriate for the Internet, and it only goes up from there. You can aim as high as you like on the Internet, and there will be somebody, someday, somewhere, that gets it.
 
As far as my daily blog project goes, I try to keep the vocabulary level as far up the scale as the storyline permits. There are also limitations that are imposed by the period in which the current sequence of posts is set. I had to establish a rule that would not allow a term to be introduced that was not appropriate at the time. This has produced some very strange posts, pushing the fictional aspect of the work into some strange and interesting niches. The good news is that I can write new things in, provided they are supported by the historical record.
 
Perhaps you will create a blog that is not bound by such odd and strange rules. I can't say how it happened that I would choose such a subject, but it happened and I started and now I have to keep going. I've managed to acquire a small audience of more than a dozen regular readers, and that's huge considering that I'm a relative newcomer to the blogosphere, having done it for a mere three months.
 
As a user of Google Analytics and Feedburner, I am able to see a fairly anonymous listing of who is visiting my site and how many feed subscribers I have. I can see hits by city with Analytics, and feed readers by country with Feedburner. It should be no surprise that most of my readers are in the United States, as my blogs are in English. Even with all of this, and some loyal subscribers, I've had a string of zero-hit days, but that's to be expected, especially with the holidays upon us.
 
While it may be true that you have a certain number of readers today, tomorrow there are more potential readers. Every day, new minds get connected to the Internet for the first time, and we know that they will never leave. The high degree of preservation that digital publishing offers, ensures that your writings will not go the way of the Dead Sea Scrolls. What you write today, will likely outlast you, and the next seven generations. Your blog is more than just something to do, it can become a vital touchstone to future generations in a way that mankind had only dreamed of, until yesterday.

No comments: