Pages

March 24, 2010

Olla Podrida - 2nd Edition - 1788

At one time in my life, I had the opportunity to bid at auction for the contents of a storage unit. It was a massive 10'x20' unit, but only a quarter full. I had no trouble re-organizing the entire contents into my mainly vacant 10'x10' unit. Among the items I inherited in the transaction was this example of Gutenberg Pressmanship. The 443 pages of printing (111 sheaves) has held up rather well when compared to some wood-pulp publications that are far younger.





We can see that this book was part of a library collection at one time. These pages are the most frequented, as expected, but the later pages are very clean and clear. The fact that this is a second edition indicates that it is a work of some popularity. I've read a few of the "numbers" and am somewhat taken aback by the re-use of a "f" to mean an "s" but in most cases, the forward portion of the cross-bar on the "f" is clipped off. Perhaps this is due to the fact that this part of the lowercase "f" wore out? I have no idea.



It's is definitely interesting to have something that is older that the Constitution of the United States. At a published date of 1788, and a date of 1781 on the binding, it is a conversation piece. What is far more interesting is the language inside.


Perhaps this will, one day, become a Google Book. It has been rescued directly into my care.


-.\\

No comments: