Pages

March 26, 2010

Thursday and Friday Roll-Up

Heading South on AZ 77 from Holbrook, you will pass landmarks like Five-Mile Wash, Painted Wash and Corduroy Creek. After that, you're back on US 60, heading into Pinon Pine Forrest. The smell is unmistakable.



Equally unforgettable is the Salt River, which must be crossed. This is on the descent into the canyon, the ascent is on the opposite side. This is a two-lane highway, with 35MPH as the posted maximum speed. There are numerous crosses and memorials for those that ignored the advice.



And I succeeded at reaching the first Castle. I also got to meet G and M who are the current residence. They were surprised by my visit, and more surprised to learn that I once played with Tonka Toys atop the same wall which has been turned into a wonderful backyard showpiece. Heavy construction ahead! At the end of the wall was a BBQ...




... a BBQ that is now missed by the current owners. The remains of the BBQ were hauled above the installation site, and deposited. This is one of the larger chunks showing the mortar work and the use of local stone, just like the retaining wall. If only we could talk to the craftsman.



Like small towns, this place has a main street. This is now considered the historic section. You can find this crossroads at the intersection of US 60 and US 70, approximately 1,055 miles West of Bad Brad's BBQ place.


Continuing on US 70, also known as AZ 77, I passed a sign and took a short detour to a University of Arizona project location. I opted not to take the tour, and have put this place on the future vacation to-do list, after adequate research. If you recognize this place, let me know.
It was shortly after this shot that I realized that I had completed a loop, as AZ 77 becomes North Oracle Road (after passing through Oracle, AZ) and descends through the Oro Valley and into Tucson. I was now travelling the same road, in the same direction, without having driven it the other way.

Sometime in the next 48 hours, I will need to spend eight of them headed west. Keep checking, as I do plan to capture some additional images on the final westerly leg of this vacation. Until then, enjoy!
-.\\

No comments: